Thursday, April 3, 2008

well, I am having an issue....

Jake has started lacrosse and I have been having an issue with the whole thing.  I think it is a gut feeling about the coach.  I saw him coach a game we played against last season and I didn't like it then.  For one thing, he is out to WIN or BLOOD - what ever happens - that is ok with him.  Forget about the kids learning to be a team, having sportmanship attitudes and oh - let's not forget about having fun with the game.  They are not pros and have a lot to learn.  Instead of yelling at them to do it right, how about show them how to do it....  I am coming off the football season with Lucas.  He had such an amazing experience with an awesome coaching staff and the boys were all supportive of each other and they played better for it.  Jake's lacrosse team doesn't even have a team name!  I am sorry - I told Jake, "I do not want you yelling your coach's name at the end of the game."  He is just this little guy - I think the players are all taller than him.  Maybe he thinks that yelling and being a tough guy makes him a bigger man...  Not sure.

Anyway, he is overseas for a few weeks with his job.  So we have the president of the league coaching for us..  Oh my - what a difference practice was last night.  I talked to him after the practice thanking him for the encouragement of the boys, etc...  He was grateful for the feedback and at the same time, I felt I was not the first parent to express their opinion to him.  So this am, he sent out an email to the parents about game and practice times and to see about getting the kids to show up.  There are 16 boys on the team.  About 10 of them show to practice.   Well, I took the opportunity and followed up his email with this....

I also wanted to bring up a few things...  First, Thank you Coach (will leave out names to protect the innocent) for helping out with the team.  We so greatly appreciate it.  Jake made so much improvement in one practice because he was encouraged and shown exactly what he should be doing when you told him.  Also thank you Assistant Coach - I appreciate how you were working one on one with the boys as they needed it.    At the beginning of the season, Coach was asking for help with communication and such.  I am not sure if anyone said they would do this - but I would be willing to help with emailing out practice reminders and directions and such to the games.  I know with school getting out for my son at 3:05, getting to practice at 4 is a little tricky, but if you are in the Elmonica area and would like to work out some kind of carpool, I am willing to help with that too, at least on Mondays and Fridays for sure.  So feel free to email me or call me if you need help getting your son to practice.  I would love to see more boys there.  I would also love to see the team have a name.  Coach mentioned that the boys were asked to come up with one.  But since they can't think of a name - can we as the parents come up with a team name with the boys?  I think it will add some team commadery and help us parents cheer them on at the games.  My husband has thrown out Screaming Eagles for a suggestion.  I thought of maybe Tomahawks or Hawks.  Now that the boys have their jerseys - if you could email me your son's name and number - I would like to make up a cheat sheet for us at the games.  I know for myself, the kids start to all look the same when they are suited up and this just helps to know who is who.  I think that is all.  We are just looking forward to another great season.  Just my 2 cents here...  I think if the boys come together as a team, they will have more fun and a greater love of the game.  So if there is anything I can to help with transportation, or what not, please do not hesitate to call.  Again my thanks to the Coaches.

What do you think?  Did I come off tacky?  I have already had a response from one mom thanking me for saying something.  She said she wishes she had the guts to do it herself.  I just want my son to have a good experience and take this opportunity to make new friends and such.  It is so wrong of me to want that for him?  I just think that I am the mom and I have the right to say something....  I noticed that the Coach is listed in the group email so he will see my message.  Hopefully he will take it to heart and make some changes when he comes back.  Or at least talk to me and give me his side of it so I can understand.  As of this point, he really hasn't talked to any of the parents...  

Anyway, I feel better that I said something.  Especially in person to the coach last night.  I must be getting braver or something to take that on in person.  I would of done it by email or phone before.  Maybe this live tv thing in Canada is getting me pumped up and I am practicing!  LOL  

Well, I have my appointment this am with the neurologist.  I better start getting ready.  Not so nervous about it now after talking to Angie last night.  She has experience with these things so was wondering what on earth are they going to do to me for 2 hours!  So thanks for the advice, Ang.  I have my list of questions and a note pad - oh and a Boxer pen....  THANKS!  For some reason, I have like 6 of them in my purse....  I even opened up the new package of undies for the appointment.  This may be too much info, but anytime I travel, I buy new undies.  Ang said I should wear new ones to my appointment today - so new Hanes her Way, DONE!  I had already gotten some for my trip next week....

Enjoy your day.  So glad to see the sunshine today!
Til next time...
Laura





2 comments:

Team Immel said...

anxious to hear how your appt with the neurologist went.

sounds like you did the pefect thing by talking to that coach. it sounded perfectly pc to me. but you gotta stop offering up your services for everything. you just put more on your plate, when you should be taking stuff away!

that's just the generous, giving, kind, thoughtful person you are.

xoxo
si

Paris said...

Hope you get along okay at the neurologist. I will be thinking of you.

I think you said all the right things to the coaches. It should give them all stuff to think about.

I agree w/Shauna though... don't take on too much. Saying "no" is getting easier for me and it feels GOOD!!!

Big hugs, p