Saturday, April 12, 2008

having a good day, eh?

Well, I have finally found a little pocket in the hotel lobby where I can access internet. So thought I would check in and let you know how my weekend here in Calgary is going....

It started off Thursday am with a successful shuttle ride to the airport. If you have ever heard my story of my shuttle driver falling asleep at the wheel and then being pulled over for speeding, you will know that to trust a shuttle driver for me anymore is a very big deal.

I lugged my luggage into the airport and they were both too heavy. So did a little juggling and made it through. Security was no problem and still made it to the gate with plenty of time. I actually did a little reading! I finished my book!!!!! I bought this book, 4 1/2 years ago. I have taken it on every trip to read on the planes. It is a good book by Nicholas Sparks, The Rescue. He also wrote A Message in a Bottle and The Notebook. Of course it is about a firefighter, so it keeps my interest, I just never have enough time to read. I even bought a second copy of it somewhere along the way, so it is obviously a good book. So the big accomplished was that I finally finished it waiting for the plane.

Time to board.... Ok, no jetway. Where is the plane? Nope, need to go downstairs and walk out to the plane sitting on the tarmak. This is the smallest plane I have ever flown on. It didn't even have that big of engines. They were the kind with big propellers!!!!!!! I thought I was boarding a crop duster.... Anyway, I was surprised how smooth the flight was. I had fallen asleep somewhere during the short flight to Vancouver, BC and woke up during landing.

Took the long hike from the plane to customs. Felt like I was walking across VANCOUVER!!!!!!!! My layover was short, so I got very nervous when get to Customs and the line went on forever. I asked the agent what I should do since my flight was at 3:30. She sent me to the express lane where there was only one person in front of me. Slick - this is going so well. Then I met the customs agent from Korean or some other country that did not speak English very well. Then the problems started. I spent 10 minutes trying to explain to him why I was here and what scrapbooking was. Didn't make much progress. So finally had to show him my schedule for the weekend. He saw Camp Croppin and asked me if I was coming for summer camp. Oh ok - sure if it will get me into the country..... So he wrote reason for visit on my declaration card - camp counselor!!!! And finally let me through. Then, I had to go get my very heavy bags from the carrousel and take it through the rest of customs. The line was long and people were grumpy and it took forever it seemed to get my bags. But got through to another express lane because of my tight connection. Things are looking up! Hand they guy at the conveyor belt my bags and he says - oh no word on your bags so they should go through ok. Was this a red flag that I should of picked up on at the time? Nope - I was just worried I wasn't going to make my flight. So give him my bags and head for my plane.

But I don't have a gate number, just a boarding pass. So go through these doors and end up into some big mall type place. No monitors to tell me which way to go, I just end up following others that look like they are trying to find a plane too. Hey, this is an airport, there should be a few around somewhere. So I ask every airport person I can find if I am going the right way.... Long story short, finally found out where I needed to go, went through security again where they had to swab my laptop and then to my gate. Luckily that connection was delayed. Apparently Calgary got a flook snowstorm of 11 inches of snow! Plus this was the day that airports were cancelling flights for the inspections. But with a short delay, we were boarded and ready to go.

Arrived in Calgary a little late, but ok. Found the baggage claim and no bags. Waited and waited and no bags, for anyone! After about 20 minutes, a few bags came and those people left. The carrousel stopped and no more bags. I am starting to get nervous now as the line gets very long at the claim office. There are more people there than those that walked aways with luggage. So I go make my claim for my bags. No I start to freak because EVERYTHING for this event in those bags. Even stuff for someone else's class. They have no idea where my bags are, just that they are in Canada. Ok - well , it is a pretty big country. That didnt make me feel any better.

But after they tell me they will deliver to the hotel, I go to find a taxi. The taxt that came, just did not give me warm fuzzies. I just did not feel comfortable getting in his cab. So stepped back to the curb and saw down the way, was another guy waiting for passengers. Very nice guy. I think he could tell that I was frazzled at this point. So he discounted his fare and took me to the hotel in luxury. Big towncar with butterscoth candies and bottled water waiting in the back seat.

Then everything was fine with check in and got to my room and just felt lost. I didnt have anything to unpack or to prep for the morning... So found the event and she hooked me up with the gals that were doing the tv segment at 8:30 in the morning friday. They took me to an awesome scrap store two blocks away. The store just let me load my bag with product to make a quick project for the tv spot and extra products for samples - just in case my luggage didn't show up. Then Allison and Jill took me to the local Walmart so I could buy some emergency toiletries and shirt and such for the next day. What a couple of great gals. They sure helped make the whole situation actually comical and we had a blast shopping.

They brought me back to my hotel. I ordered a pizza for a late dinner at 11pm and prepped for my tv spot.

I didn't sleep very well that night because the heater in the room knocks and I thought someone was at the door to deliver my bags. It was a very long night. I woke up at 6 am with no bags. Called the desk and they were still holding them. So they brought them up and I could feel myself starting to breathe again.... So much relief.

After getting my feet back under me again - I was ready for the live tv spot... I got some pictures - I will have to post them later. But this went really well. I was surprised how I wasn't nervous during the filming. Scott Coa from the local professional football team was the host. Well he was just released from the team, but he was great. A big line backer. He was so funny and made it very comfortable. I will see if I can get a tape somehow. But it was over so quick and the build up of nerves before wasn't really necessary.


Well, looks like the lunch line is breaking up and heading off to their next classes. So will see about getting some lunch before my next class at 3. Will try to check in with you more later and continue my adventure here in Calgary. Eh?

Til later then....
Laura

2 comments:

Team Immel said...

score on the town car. quite the adventures you're having in canada, eh? glad to hear it's all falling into place and that your tv spot went well. i had no doubt myself! looking forward to reading more of your exciting adventures!
xoxox
si

Paris said...

So glad you made it there safe and sound... despite all the chaos!! Sheesh! I am glad that everyone has been so nice since you got there, and that the tv thing went smoothly. Miss you, p