Friday, April 4, 2008

he is now 11!

Well, Jake is now 11.  I can't believe where the time has gone.  Yesterday was his birthday and I was bad - didn't even get out the camera, just spent time with him.  Nowadays - that just feels more important.  This is a picture of him on Tom's bike last fall.  They were taking pictures to post on Craig's list and it turned into a little photo shoot...  Anyway, yesterday was a busy day.  Got him up for school and he had his usual cereal for breakfast.  We have been out of toaster struedel for awhile so he is having cereal on a regular basis.  Tom took him to school on the motorcycle and he was full on perma-grin from ear to ear.  He has no problem carrying his motorcycle jacket around at school because it makes him "cool".  After my neurologist appt (will write more about that later) I went and got donuts for his class.  Asked him what he wanted to take and he told "the usual" aka Krispy Kreme...  The kids were happy to see me!  It was cute.  They made him a card and the kids that I know from field trips and such were giving me hugs and saying how good it was to see me.   Um, ok.... but really I only brought one donut per person....  Suddenly I wasn't so popular anymore.  So then I hung out with him in class til school was over and we headed over to the library.  Lucas checked out a book who knows how long ago and it has been riding around in the car forever.  So thought we better take it back before they send me a bill.  Now that the library has moved, it just isn't on the way to anyplace else I go so I keep forgetting.  So when we were there, Jake wanted to get the next Harry Potter on tape.  He has been downloading them on his iPod and listening to them as he reads the book.  I am so amazed how it is actually helping him with his reading.  He is hearing  how to add emotion and PUNCTUATION....  in his reading.  He used to be the most monotone and run-on sentence, or book, rather, kid I have seen.  He definitely has come a long way over the past year.  After the library we headed home to meet Lucas and then it was off to tutoring.  After that we went to dinner at Zab's and he had his usual Pad Thai noodles.  Then Tom took him to Game Crazy and they exchanged the game that I got him for the Wii.  Apparently it was a two person game they wanted (they meaning Jake and TOM!!!!!) so they got something else.  Then it was off to GI Joes for them.  It is a guy thing so this is a dad duty...  He needs a cup for lacrosse so they took care of that.  When they were home again, we worked on homework and he was off to bed.  Busy day but he said he had a good day.    I am very proud of him.  Jake is just a kind and warm hearted kid.  Of course he plays the part of the little brother a lot, but overall, he is a good kid.  He makes us laugh and amazes us with his witty comments.  We were reading the other night and he came across the word herb.  So he wanted to know the right pronunciation.  I told him some people say it with the h and some don't.  His response was, "oh, like tomato and tomato...." You will have to add your own pronunciation there because not sure how to write that out...  But it just caught me off guard for a second.   

So we love you, Jake!  I hope you had a good birthday. 

Well, need to get Lucas off to school and then me off to my list of things I have to do today.  But looking forward to lunch with Angie, Judy and Danita.  We will miss you Vicki - but enjoy your time off.  You so deserve it.  I am glad you girls are finally working that into your week more.  

Til next time....

2 comments:

Paris said...

Happy Birthday to Jake. Sounds like you had a good day!

Hope your dr. appt. went okay.

Have fun at lunch! Sounds like a blast!

Miss you, p

Team Immel said...

happiest of birthdays to jake! wow, your baby is 11!!!!! where does the time go????

i hope you give us goood news from the doc appt. i'm hoping for some anyways.

hope you had fun at lunch too. is that danita and judy from it's a wonderful life scrapbook store that used to be on tv hwy?

hope you have a great weekend! i'm still trying to thaw out after a 9am soccer game at the powerlines. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr


xoxox
si