Monday, January 14, 2008

they made it home safely...

Tom and the boys made it back last night from their snow camp about 6:30.  Of course, this was not without a phone call when they were about 10 minutes from the house.  It was Jake, "Hi Mom, what's for dinner?"  I think that is the first question out of all three of them whenever they call me!  

Sounds like they had a good time.  Not very organized as usual - but what do you expect when it is an outing led by the scouts...  boys!  Anyway, they had lots of snow.  (Not like my dream the night before they left that they arrived and there wasn't any snow - only mud....) It wasn't until sunday am when Lucas realized that he forgot his sausage for that breakfast at home in the freezer.  Tom broke one of his snowshoes.  This was the second pair he had tried to make himself.  Time for new design. Jake practically lived in his snowshoes the whole time.  Guess it worked out pretty well for him.  Lucas didn't like his.  I can just see him - he is in his clutzy phase (actually has been in it for quite some time now...) and his big feet in his big boots with big snowshoes on and trying to get around in the deep snow.  Needless to say, he didn't wear the snowshoes much.  Then to top it off, he walked in front of my truck at some point and caught my license plate frame on his pants and snapped it in half.  He saved it for me though...  Nothing I can do with it though.  Will have to find another one now that doesn't say a dealership on it.  This was my license plate frame that said scrapbooking.  Made for finding my vehicle so much easier!  Anyway...  he told me about it.  Poor kid, he really is starting to hate telling me things that happen.  Stollen PSP, lost hat, broken license plate frame...  Oh but he did get his hat back today - so he was happy about that.  Oh well, back to the story here.... I am afraid Lucas is starting to show signs of problems with his knees like his old mom.  I am hoping that he just hurt it somehow and that it will get better for him.  I certainly don't wish these knee problems on anyone.  But at one point, he had fell and hurt it pretty bad at the camp-out, so Tom had him stay at the shelter instead of going on the hike.    Today he is still favoring it, so I think it will be another doc visit this week.  Tom and Jake ended up building a snow shelter but apparently it was too small for them to sleep in so they stayed in the shelter. (I think some of that may of been on purpose but they won't admit it.)  Lucas also built a snow shelter and spent the whole night in it.  He got pretty cold and wet and held tough through the night.  They were exhausted on the way home.  Tom said it was a pretty quiet three hour drive because everyone was asleep in the truck.  That many boys in my truck - they sure did a number on it if they were sleeping.  Garbage everywhere - and where did they drive it?  The thing is covered in dirt and grime....  New rule, who ever drives it last, needs to wash it, clean it out, and fill it with gas!  Oh but is that going to apply when I drive Tom's truck???

So tonight Tom and Lucas are off to a scout meeting.  Jake and I worked through his homework.  He will be going to bed soon (wants the computer for a bit first, so I should wrap it up...) Then I will do a little work before I head off to bed myself.

Angie just called to let me know that they had to put Harley down tonight.  He was a great dog and he will be missed.  Angie, Vicki and George - I am so sorry for your loss.  He is no longer in pain and I bet Mike is teaching him how to duck hunt or something...  

So on that note, I will end my ramblings for tonight...

2 comments:

Team Immel said...

i'm sorry to hear about harley. my heart goes out to them.

i'm glad your 3 boys made it home safe and sound and they had a good time despite too small snow huts and hurt knees and broken snow shoes. they sound so adventurous! my family would be miserable and complain the whole time. (me included!)

xoxo
shauna

Paris said...

What an adventure for the guys. So sorry about Harley... give my hugs to Angie and Vicki.