Saturday, January 19, 2008

52 blessings....

I was reading a blog by my friend, Mary Ruth about this and thought I could do this.  It would be a weekly task (well, mine will be less than 52 because I am starting late.) of finding what I am blessed with in my life.  Of course, MR's friendship is on my list of blessings - I will have to write about her another day...   she deserves a post of her own.

Since tomorrow is her birthday and she is leaving town for three weeks, I wanted this week's blessing to by my friend Shauna.     I first met Shauna over 8 years ago when I was at a crop at Scrapbook Attack in Portland.
Across the table from me was this person that just lit up the room. What a warm smile and friendly person.  She was also a member of a local online scrapping group I was on and it was great to finally meet her in person.  Shauna was also a designer for a local manufacturer - so of course, that was pretty cool too.  She was so talented!  Shauna and I chatted many times online and she was always supportive and willing to listen.  When I moved to Beaverton and started doing lots of traveling, she even became my shuttle service to and from the airport after a shuttle experience I didn't ever want to repeat.  With her busy life of being a super mom and working, she took time to shuttle me around.  I so appreciated that.  Then over a year and a half ago, I started working part time at HOTP with Shauna.  This was going to be a part time summer job while Paris was off touring the world with hubby and daughter on sabatical.  I was so excited because I would get the chance to see her more often.  But then there was a twist.  That June, Shauna was diagnosed with cancer.  I never would of predicted our friendship would turn the way it has.  We have become closer.  She will tell you that I have been a support to her and a good friend.  But honestly, she has been the friend to me.  She has inspired me and taught me to see that life is short.  Take it by the reigns and make the most of it.  To spend every minute possible with family and cherish it.  While Shauna was going through her first round of chemo, I used her desk at work.  That was the hardest thing I had to do there since I took the job.  I didn't want people to think that I was there replacing her.  That was still her desk and it was hers when she came back to work.  So during this time, the job became a full time job, Paris returned and I got the opportunity to also become better friends with her.  She too is a wonderful person and will deserve her own post...  Maybe my blessings will turn into all the amazing friends in my life....  It was wonderful to work side by side with Paris and she made it easier to work in the seat I was seated in.  That was Shauna's and those were some big shoes to temporarily fill.  But when Shauna finished her round of chemo and was able to return to work, her desk was there just as she left it.  Due to work space issues, I floated between tables.  A few weeks passed and Paris decided to start an adventure of her own by starting her own business.  This meant that I would have a desk area of my own now and I was thrilled that I would be working side by side now with Shauna.  Of course, this didn't mean that I missed working with Paris - she was the reason I got this job in first place.  Paris' desk was easier to work at once we raised the desk and got a taller chair....  (Paris - your set up was just too short for me.... lol)  I have enjoyed every day that our time has overlapped and Shauna and I have worked together.  She has a talent that inspires me and I end up producing better work...  She also has a son close to Lucas' age so we share some similar "boy" issues.


But now she is facing a second round of chemo.  Even though Shauna has lost her hair, her spirit continues.  With her bright smile on top of it, I still learn something new from her everyday.


 Shauna, you are leaving tomorrow to explore a new option for treatment in Reno and it is also your birthday..  I hope that this will be the best present ever for you and they will be able to determine an origin for you and find a way for you to kick this to the curb.  I am hoping and praying that 2008 will be your year to continue to shine and be the miracle.   I cherish your friendship and I am grateful for the time that we have had to get to know each other more.  I look forward to many more playdates at Noah's and even getting some play time at a local scrap store.  I will be thinking of you when you are away and hoping that this will be the answer you so deserve.


Happy birthday, my friend!

2 comments:

Team Immel said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh shoooooooooot. now you're making me cry too! i'm so honored to be your friend and on your blessing list! thank you for the honor and the shout out for my bday. and for wishing me well. i'll miss you dearly and look forward to sitting in that chair beside you at work! you can call me anytime for a ride to/from the airport! love ya!!!

xoxo
shauna

p.s. remember when i was your secret sister or whatever that was and i sent you stuff from all over the world via my online friend? that was way too fun!!!!

Jennie said...

oh.. that maryruth! isn't she a great influence on us!!

i love have those kind of friends! it sounds like you have the best!

enjoy your week!