Wednesday, August 6, 2008

they are home already???

Well, stopped at the store last night to pick up some ice cream - just been really wanting some coconut pineapple in this heat. Had a message on the phone when I got in the truck - Tom and Jake were home... Hmm, they weren't supposed to be home til friday. So Lucas starts with all the circumstances that could of made them come home early. Dad fell and broke his leg and Jake hiked out either dragging him or to get help..... But nothing like that.

They got there Monday morning and hiked in 6 miles. Then they realized they did have enough fuel for their camp stove. So they hiked back out. 12 miles that day. Ended up getting a hotel (oh boy this is roughin' it!) and looked for an REI tuesday am. Ends up - they did a small hike to Devil's Lake and decided to come home. It was pretty hot. They were sore. Jake was getting a blister from his boots and not sure if the fuel was going to last. Tom was using some different kind and it was burning faster. ( I am not a camper - so didn't really know what he was talking about...)

But they made it home safe. Jake got chewed on quite a bit from the mosquitoes and they both got pretty red from the sun. They will probably just take it easy today and maybe hit the pool.

Update on Lucas - took him to the doc monday. Looks like he may have some small tears in the ligaments in his right knee. There is also some fluid in there. So he is taking ibuprofen 3x a day, ice, and on limited activities. So he is participating still in football camp from the sidelines. He is able to go to summer camp with scouts next week, but needs to limit activities. So no hike. He was going for a requirement with a 5 mile hike - will have try another time. Just want him to heal so he can still play this season. He just wants to be on the field, not the sidelines.

So I got to see my cuz, Eric, again at the airport in Philly. His boys were flying home same airline as I was but a couple hours earlier. So got to snag a picture with him quick before he headed home. Thanks Vicki for taking a great picture... It was so great to see him and his family.

Oh I promised you a funny story from my trip so here is the best one that tops many for a while....

But first it needs a little set up....

When Angie was in Vegas for a trade show, she was heading out of the convention center to head to dinner and she ran over a cone. She dragged it under the car and they ended up having to get a security guy to help get the cone out from under the car.

So, on Sunday, we had one box that we needed to ship home so we stopped at Staples. And pulled into the parking space - up over the curb - and parked... We were laughing already... Then Vicki got out of the van and saw this cone next to the shrubs over the curb. She started laughing even more because this cone was just mangled. I told her that I was going to put it under the car. So I stayed in the van waiting to make sure that the shipping counter wasn't right at the windows and put the mangled cone under the tire....Angie and Vicki come out of the store. Vicki is asking me- where is the cone? I told her I put it under the car. She thought I said I put it in the back of the car so she was waiting for Ang to say something because she was now putting something back there. Anyway, Ang comes up along the side of the car and opens her door. "You are not going to believe this. But there is a cone under the car..." I am thinking, I can believe it! So we are all laughing - mostly because Ang believes that she ran over this thing and not sure how long it has been under there. She says - oh we should send a picture to Debbie (she was also in the car in Vegas for the first cone) and I say - oh I have my camera right here....

So take pictures .... and here is Ang on the phone posing with the cone.


We just let Ang go on thinking she ran over this cone. But awhile later, she made a comment about - I don't know how I ran over that cone. I said, "I can. Because I put it there...." We laughed some more, well, maybe Ang wasn't laughing that much... Oh what good times. Thanks Angie and Vicki for a great weekend. Oh and I guess, Judy and Danita too.... lol We spent a lot of time with them too.

Well, should probably get to work. Or at least get ready to leave for work. Have a good day. Make time to laugh and hug your families.

Til next time....
Laura

1 comment:

Paris said...

Funny story about Angie ;) Crack me up. Sorry the camping/hiking trip didn't go as planned. Bummer. Hope that Lucas feels better soon so he can get back to all his fun activities. Bummer again. Great pic of you and your cousin.