Saturday, August 30, 2008

just hanging with "Dozer"...

Here are a couple pictures from when I dropped the boys off at camp - I look forward to this now all summer, but really when I drive off, I am surprised how hard it is to actually leave them... Notice Lucas - typical pose anymore...
This is actually a good one of the two of them. Jake had a good week again at camp this year. There are adults there, but just makes me think of the "Lost Boys" running amuck at these things... Especially when I hear the stories afterwards... I wish Lucas could of made it longer than one night though. But it was just too hard to get around on the crutches...
Jake is prepared with his pack. Hmmm... This is pretty light. Did you pack anything to get you through the week? Turns out he didn't. He suffered through the hike because he didn't take his hiking boots. He was kicked out of his cabin because he was too stinky. This kid stays in the same clothes all week. They finally made him shower on Wednesday... He got there on SUNDAY!!!! But he ended up in Lucas' patrol cabin. They apparently all stunk too so he spent the rest of the week there...
This is the view from our little hotel room in Hoodsport where we stayed on our return trip. It was just so relaxing and quiet! I want to go back and just stay there....
It is very hard to get any good pictures of Lucas anymore. I was surprised he actually stood still for this one and didn't put his hand up or make some funny face... I can't believe how fast the time is going by - not a little boy anymore...

Well, "Dozer" (nickname he picked up from Football last year.) and I are just hanging out again this weekend. Tom and Jake are off on their last backpacking trip for the summer. Yesterday before they left, Jake and I went and did a little back to school shopping. Something I started doing last year, just taking one kid at a time and doing their shopping. It takes a little longer but I like the one-on-one with them. So they headed out about 3:30 and it was then just Dozer and I.

Lucas has really gotten into football. He is turning 13 next month (actually been in training for those teen years for some time now....) and I have been checking into tickets to a Seahawks game. Oh but not sure I can pull it off. They are pretty spendy. But the last pre-season game was on tv last night against Oakland Raiders so we ordered a pizza and watched the game. Ok, he watched the game. I have been so tired lately. I laid down on the couch and lasted for about the first quarter. Then woke up a few times to check the score... Then before I knew it, it was last few seconds of the game... Then we called it a night.


Today we are just taking it easy. Catching up on some household chores and just hanging out. I think we will finish up the school supply shopping this afternoon. But need to do an inventory of leftovers from last year. See what can be recycled. I can't believe the supply lists each year. Really do they need all of that??? I know there are so many kids that can't provide their own supplies, but things are tough all around. I can't really afford to supply for the class. I think this year, I am only sending basics and they can keep a back stock of supplies here at home. When they need something, it will be here. I just can't justify sending them two dozens pencils on the first day. Seriously??? Anyway, seems like every year, the folders, binders, etc come home not even used. And where are all those CD's, VHS tapes and cassette tapes that have been sent over the years? I have never seen those come home with anything. If it turns out that they need something specific, then we will get it. Comes to be a time when a line needs to be drawn. Anyway, enough on that tangent...

Tomorrow afternoon, we will head to OHSU for Lucas' MRI. We finally got it scheduled. He won't see the Orthopedist til the 11th now, but hopefully the MRI will at least give us an answer to whether he will play football at all this season or if we need to focus on physical therapy or something to get him ready for next year. They said to plan for at least 3 hours or more for the MRI. They are doing from his hips down to both knees. Guess just being thorough or something. So will take my book and iPod to help pass that time... So hopefully this will get figured out and the kid can get on with better things.

So hope you all have a good weekend. Last before the new school year starts. I am hoping this will be a clean slate. Boys are starting at a new middle school. We went to pick up their schedules earlier this week and took a little tour of the school. They both saw lots of kids from either last year, lacrosse, football or scouts, so they will not be going not knowing anyone. I got a good feel from the school. So hoping this will be a good change for the boys. Will be a big change for me as I will be driving them to and from school now. Since they are part of an Open Enrollment program, they are out of the busing system. So it will be me...

Anyway, enjoy the rest of your long weekend!
Til next time...
Laura

2 comments:

Paris said...

Great pics!! Good luck w/the MRI. Hope you get some answers so Lucas can get back to football. So thrilled for them to start a new school. I hope that they both love it. Hope to see you soon.

Team Immel said...

Those are great photos! they look so grown up! and so much like you and tom! you can tell they are your kids for sure!

loved the photo of the scenery where you and lucas stayed. so serene and peaceful.

xoxox
shauna