Saturday, March 8, 2008

thought I would check in....

I thought I would stop in with a quick update.

This week was the usual crazy times.  But Thursday evening while Jake went to tutoring, Lucas and I went for a walk.  Since it was after dark, he was prepared for anything.  He took his ten essentials day pack for boy scouts.  Ready with a flashlight or first aid if either was needed.  Jake didn't want a repeat from our walk in Alaska on the dock, so he told me, "Don't fall down, Mom..."  Thanks for the good words of advice, Jake...  

So off we went.  I wasn't too sure of that area but figured it was probably just one of those neighborhoods that loop around each other and come back to where you started...  Um... not so much.  Wasn't really sure where we were going in the end, but we did end up by the community college where the boys have been for football and lacrosse.  So knew where I was then.  We ran out of sidewalk for part of it, so Lucas stopped our walk to get out his flashlight.  He definitely is a kid that just automatically looks out for you.  He would walk a bit and turn the flashlight backwards so I could see.  But then he realized he couldn't see when the light was behind him.  So he started just saying, "hole....  root.....  rock..... TREE! " as he almost ran into it...   Luckily we made it then to the sidewalk again.

But it was a nice 45 minute walk and nice to just talk to him about what is going on in school, how he likes scouts, and to just hang out with him.  

Wednesday night I made a huge pot of taco soup and took some over to my friend, Loritta's house on thursday afternoon.  She is home recooperating from surgery on her shoulder.  It was great to see her.  She is going through so much right now and I just wish she lived closer so I could see her more.

Friday night we signed the papers for the re-fi on the house.  Wow, we were surprised on what this place appraised for.  We have almost doubled the value in the house since we bought it in December 1999.  As we do more home improvements, the value will just go up.  So guess that is good.  Now just to find the time and money to do the improvements.  Of course, all the big ones are left.  Kitchen, bathrooms....

Tonight, I made a veggie stir fry for dinner.  It turned out really good.  Now I need to try to find a recipe for apple dumplings or baked apples.  My mom made them when we were growing up and just can't remember how she did it.  Another thing that just really sounded good today.  So off to search through the food network.com   

Hope all is well for all of you that check in with me here...  
Til next time...
Laura

2 comments:

Team Immel said...

glad to hear you went for a walk! you go girl! isn't it nice to hang with just one kid for one on one time once in awhile? kaelin and i did that today and i loved it! they are so differnt and talk more when it's one on one and they aren't worried about the other one teasing them or whatever. no bickering either. love it!

your taco soup sounded good! you are such a sweetheart to take it to your friend! i bet paris has some recipes for apple stuff!

take care of yourself and enjoy your sunday!
xoxo
shauna

Paris said...

As a matter of fact I just saw a recipe for apple dumplings on the thepioneerwomancooks.com blog. Go check it out!! They look amazing!

I'm glad you had a chance to go on a nice long walk w/Lucas. Feels good eh?

Have a nice, relaxing Sunday. Love, p