Sunday, March 9, 2008

oh my.... yummy apple dumplings!

Last night I googled apple dumplings and found a site that even had video along with step by step instructions for making apple dumplings. I did some short cuts and only made 4 instead of the 6 like the recipe. How would we decide who would have the extra two? So 4 it is.... I also didn't make the crust. I had some pie crusts in the fridge so used those. I bet puff pastry would work really well too....

But during dinner Jake was weighing his options. I told him, if he didn't eat his dinner, then no dessert. So he called me on it and said, there isn't any dessert.... I told him what I was planning to make and it was funny to see the wheels turning in his head. He wanted to know exactly what it was he had to do in order to get dessert. He ate just the amount of dinner to sneak by...

The dumplings were a huge hit. Tom had been building a shed all day and kept falling asleep in the chair. So he was going to go to bed. But he kept checking the oven to see when they would be done. At one point, he asked, if the timer says 7 minutes, will they be done in 7 minutes??? I could tell he was weighing whether he was going to go to bed or wait. He waited!

Lucas asked me if I had saved the website with the recipe so I could make it again. Apparently, "this is the best dessert I have ever had!"

They were definitely yummy but alot of sugar in them. Think next time, I could get away with cutting that in half. But it will be a recipe that will be repeated....

Lucas is wanting to save up money for a computer, a guitar, who knows... It changes hourly. But he has put an ad on Craig's list for miscellaneous jobs. He even arranged with a friend's mom to come by and pick up their cans to recycle. Quite the little businessman. So yesterday afternoon, we went and picked them up and took them to Freddies. By the time we were done, he had $3 in his pocket, burning a hole. He is lucky, I didn't take a share for gas $$$. There were cub scouts at the door selling candy and he wanted to buy one... Lucas - you had $ in your pocket less than 2 minutes. He resisted and has actually saved it now for over 24 hours. He is not one that can really save money so this will be a good challenge for him. Jake on the other hand, it is hard to get him to decide what he wants to buy. So he is good with saving money. We will see how this goes for Lucas...

Today we are losing an hour with the time change. I am feeling it already! I didn't realize how many clocks we have in this house until I start to change the time! Why can't they automatically adjust like the cell phone and computers? Will need to change the batteries in the smoke detectors today too.

Tom and Lucas are out working on the shed today. Our old metal shed was falling apart and too small. So Tom is building one like an out building. He will put the same siding on it like the house and we will need to paint it. But I am excited to have shelves in there. Will be easier to store things!

Jake is listening to his Harry Potter on tape today. So he will be "out" for the day. Usually he puts it on his iPod, but today he has three chairs lined up next to the computer in the kitchen. He is lounged out with a blanket and in his land of Hogwarts....

I have some hours to finish up for work. Got a load of towels going again... who uses all these towels? So now time to work....

Enjoy the day!
Laura

4 comments:

Paris said...

Good for you on the apple dumplings... yum! I'm making the no-knead bread and homemade chicken noodle soup here. Seems like a good day to stay in and bake... I guess for me every day is a good day to stay in and bake ;) I better go for a walk too!! xoxo P

Team Immel said...

sounds heavenly! i bet they were gooooood! so cute that they were a big hit. i could just see the boys weighing their options. my kids are like that too.

and my kids are spitting images of yours in terms of money! spencer is just like lucas and kaelin is a miser! lol.

wow, look at tom go, building a shed and all! way to go!!! that's awesome. i'm so jealous. i so don't have a handy man around my house, as you saw for yourself. i bet he could be if he had the time. but he works 7 days a week, working about 4 different jobs in all - a jack of all trades, but a master at none? (except basketball lol)

i hear ya on the time change and batteries etc. dave and i didn't get up today until noon!! lol well, we got up, but stayed in bed until noon. he's a beat boy after all of that hoop excitement. i just stayed in bed and read! i'm totally hooked on that "twilight" series. it's for young adults, about teenage vampires and they are filming the movie here in portland. or portions of it. i'm already on the 3rd book! and they are long. these are probably the first books i've read for fun in about 12 years. no kidding!

enjoy your day!
i've rambled way too much!

xoxox
shauna

ps let's go play this week if you're available!

Jennie said...

yummy! you will have to share the apple dumpling recipe with all of us!

you are quite a busy girl! go you!

MaryRuth said...

share the apple dumpling recipe!!

I miss you!! Email me sometime!!e