Saturday, March 22, 2008

the results are back...

We had the appointment yesterday with the neurosurgeon. We went over Lucas' MRI. It is so overwhelming to listen to a doctor talk about your kid. I hope I can explain all that she said. She was really nice. Talked to Lucas instead of to me about him when he was in the room. It looks like Lucas does have a tethered cord. The MRI showed that the curve of his spine is at about 90 degrees. A normal curve is about 30 degrees. With that and the pain he has been having in his leg is a sign that he is in traction. He is compensating for the fact that the cord is short. There is also a small area of spinibifida. But she said that was not an area for concern. He hasn't had an ultrasound of his bladder so before anything else she wants to check that to see if he has a "thick" bladder. That is scheduled for thursday morning. Then it looks like we will schedule his surgery after that. If he doesn't have the surgery, this can lead to continued issues as he grows older. The surgery will actually be pretty brief. He will need to stay one night because he will need to stay flat. But then she thinks in about 2-3 months, he will no longer have the issues with the bowels, bladder and the leg pain will work itself out. Will be great to see him without the limp and pain again. Will keep you posted as the next steps come about.



Now to get to my saturday... We are going to try to get some house chores done today. Pass the ball around with Jake. Rent some movies and get some projects done for work. Just kind of hang out this weekend at home after a crazy week.

Happy Easter to you all!
Laura

4 comments:

Paris said...

Well, darn. I'm sorry to hear about Lucas' MRI results. I guess the good news is that you have answers and a solution hopefully. Stinks to have to do surgery though... that is never fun. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you guys.

Hope your weekend is nice and relaxing. Happy Easter to you.

Big hugs,
p

Team Immel said...

I'm sorry the results weren't better too. Although it sounds like what you expected? It will be nice to alleviate his pain and limp etc. Please know we are here for you and I would be happy to help out with meals or driving or whatever while you are busy tending to your little patient! I hope only the best for him and you!!

xoxo
shauna

Jennie said...

so glad to know that lucas is doing better... it may take awhile for it all to work out... but he is on his way...

my thoughts and prayers are with you!

thanks for your sweet comments on my blog! i sure love ya!

MaryRuth said...

Laura! I'm so sorry to hear about the troubles your son is having.

I'm hoping that everything will go well and that in a couple of months he'll be an energetic, pain free boy.

Best wishes! Keep us updated!