Thursday, December 20, 2007

School binder mystery solved and was he really singing?

Lucas came home from school the day after he left his binder in a classroom (ok, so I don't remember what day this happened...) - to let me know that another kid in the class picked up his binder and took it home for him.  He told Lucas that he didn't want it to get stolen or misplaced and thought that would be the best safe keeping for the night.  So there are some good kids at his school - Lucas just needs to meet them....  He is just having such a rough year in 6th grade.  Every morning he is trying to pull the sick card.  The funniest one yet was when he told me he had cramping....  I told him that one didn't work except for girls.  So he changed it to his shoulders, back and ankles were cramping - I haven't quite heard of the ankle cramping ailment yet.  Ok, so I caved and let him have the day off.  He ended up going to work with me for the day and watched movies on the laptop.  Have to give him credit for creativity, I guess...  This morning he is trying to get out of school again, but besides a stomach ache, there will be "no education of any kind today" because it is the last day before winter break.  Nope - sorry kid.  It is off to school for you today because this is my last day to get any shopping done with the boys off to school.  Apparently there is some big holiday coming up next week and these boys of mine won't let me put it off til March when I can be better prepared.  Jake says that I won't be able to find things in the stores in March...  Maybe not decorations, but I am sure the shopping for gifts would be less stressful.

Last night, Jake's cub scout pack went to sing carols for the elderly at a local nursing home. Jake isn't much of a performer to a crowd so I always wonder if he is really singing or just mouthing the words.  I know he sings in the car, with his iPod, and in the shower (they aren't always the right words...), but put him in front of people and you can never really hear his voice.  But it was fun to watch and neat to see the boys interact with the residents.  He was to take cookies and a small gift so we hit Fred Meyer before we needed to be to the nursing home.  (Because you know, we have known about this for a month and why be prepared when you can do the shopping 15 minutes before the party...)  What one earth do you buy an elderly person that you don't know.  So Jake picked out a small stuffed dog that was wearing a santa hat and a striped scarf.  It was pretty cute and I was so proud of him how he interacted with the resident that was chosen for his gift.  He was polite, respectful and made this old mom proud.  The lady wasn't quite sure why this kid was giving her a stuffed dog and there in her house making all that noise, but it was great to see how Jake wished her a Merry Christmas and said, "I hope you like your gift."   Then Santa came in with his "Under Armour Elf" as Jake called him.  This guy that was carrying the present bag was wearing an under armour shirt under his felt costume and Jake just thought it was the funniest looking thing.  He couldn't look at the guy without giggling.  Jake was one of the last of the boys to sit on Santa's lap and I could just imagine the conversation going on....  Not sure what they were saying but Jake had the look on his face like it went like this....  

Santa asked him if he had been good this year and what would he like for Christmas.  So the response was.  "I have done this now twice for my mom." says jake.  Santa asks, "You did what twice for your mom?"  Jake responded, "Sit on your lap whether I wanted to or not.  We even did the photo thing at the mall."  Santa wasn't quite sure what to say.  He looked at me a couple of times and then to Jake with a puzzled look.  So Jake says, "Then I think it is appropriate that I get a Wii for Christmas.  I know they are hard to find this year but maybe you could contact Nintendo and use your connections to get one. "  Santa said, "Good suggestion.  I will give them a call."    

So if I was a narrator for a silent movie - that would be the conversation between Jake and Santa.  It is a mystery of what was really going on though...  

But that is one thing about my kid - he will say what is on his mind and what he thinks is fair, to his benefit, and APPROPRIATE!  How many times have I heard that from him?  What 10 year old talks like that?  I guess mine, because I am always telling him, his brother, and his father, that what ever they are doing - boylike - is not appropriate or appreciated....   

But we finished off the evening by watching Frosty the Snowman.  It is just not feeling like Christmas so anything to get in the spirit helps.  

Time to get my "stomach ache, no education day" kid off to school and me off to do that last minute shopping...

1 comment:

Jennie said...

ok... i am loving the fact that you have a blog!

you always tell the best stories! so now i get them all of the time! wahoo!!!!