Wednesday, June 11, 2008

hard day...

Yesterday was such a hard day for me. It was my first day back to work and it just hit me that it was real that Kate had passed away. As soon as I made eye contact with Sherry, I just lost it. There is such a huge void there without Kate there. Even to just hear paiges on the intercom, I still think I hear her voice. I just couldn't bring myself to go out to the front lobby and walk by her desk - just doesn't seem like the same place without her.

I heard some things that Kate had been saying lately like in some way predicted something was going to happen. You don't think of it at the time, but after something like this happens, it makes you think. She had recently said that once the banana tree she took care of in the corner, hit the ceiling, she was out of there. Well, that tree hit the ceiling recently. She also said one day when putting together kits, that soon that job would be up for grabs soon... Just little comments that gets you thinking.

Stan had a wonderful dream about Kate a couple days after she passed. He dreamt that he ran into the EMT that worked on Kate. He asked the EMT for details of what happened. The EMT told Stan that she was fine. That she was up at the hospital. So he went to see her and she was sitting up in bed eating something. He asked her what happened, what was going on? And she said - don't tell anyone. Faking my death was the only way I could get out of there. Makes me laugh because that so sounds like something she would say. She so wanted to be with her son, Collin, in the Napa Valley... Now she is with us all in our hearts.

We are going to have a potluck lunch today in her memory. So I better finish up my layer dip to take.

After a long hard day, I went to tutoring to pick up Jake. He came out to tell me that Doug wanted to talk to me. He came out to see how Tom's job search was going. We had to cancel Jake's tutoring after this month because we just can't afford it. But Doug said that since Jake is so close to finishing, he wants to see him continue through the summer or til he completes the last two books. So he is giving us tutoring through the summer. I was so touched. I just couldn't believe it. Just amazes me that even in this world that seems like things are just messed up = there are still good people out there. I am blessed to have so many in my life.

Tom and Jake are off to hike Saddle Mountain today. Jake's class is touring the Middle School today and he isn't going there next year, so thought we would let him play hooky. End of the year anyway - not going to miss much. Lucas is going to skip Friday because of a field trip to the skating rink. My clutsy kid on wheels on Friday the 13th - he says that is not a good thing...

I hope this day is one that is filled with happiness and love for you all. Better get Lucas ready for school and me to work.

Til next time...
Laura

PS - I added a great picture of June to my birthday post on Monday...

3 comments:

Paris said...

I'm so sorry you had such a rough day, Laura. I can't even imagine how sad it must be for you and everyone. I still cannot believe Kate is gone.

How cool that tutoring is covered for Jake. What a relief and a blessing. Good things happen to good people. I truly believe that. I just know that Tom will find a job soon.

Big hugs to you, Paris

Team Immel said...

ditto on what pd said.

i can't walk thru the front door or past her desk and i didn't even go into see them in the inner sanctum when i snuck in to drop off my kate pages. i couldn't bear to run into anyone and talk. i knew i'd lose it.

it's a tough one. i can't imagine trying to work their on a daily basis now.

sounds like a good wrap up week for the boys, all 3 of them!

good things happen to good people and you're the best! you deserve it!

xoxox
shauna

Jennie said...

i am so sorry to hear about your friend...

i have to AMEN your comment on the kindness of other... i feel as though i am surrounded by people who are so willing to share themselves, their talents and gifts!

to be honest... it is a pretty good world we live in!