Friday, December 5, 2008

take a day to escape...

That was my theme yesterday. But it didn't really turn out that way in the end.

I did manage to get a couple field trips in though. After taking the boys to school and trying to figure out what time everyone needs to be picked up - seems like it is different for each kid on each day... I need to cover my windshield with a calendar! But got everything figured out and a few minutes, so I dropped by JoAnn's. I got a good coupon in their email yesterday morning so figured I would stop and get some batting for my next tree skirt. Oh it was like being loose in a candy store. This could get dangerous so fast - just like the whole scrapbooking hobby. But I just don't have room in my house to get too carried away. Anyway, dropped a call to my quilting coaches to see what I needed. They were wondering if the store opened early for me because I was in there before 9. Well, they opened at 8. I wasn't standing at the door with coupon in my hand saying "Open.... Open... Open...." :) But after wandering the store (actually kind of a scary store at this location - it is an old store) I found that the batting was in a little dark room in the back corner of the store. I refrained from buying any fabrics, but oh - there were some great ones. I used my coupon, bought my batting and was on my way to Moonstruck.

Oh what a yummy place. It smells of wonderful chocolate! I got my caramel hot chocolate and sat down to read my book for a bit. Then Sherri and Jaci arrived. And shortly after that, Shauna was there too. It was great to see all the girls. I miss the days when I got to see all of them at work, now we have playdates. :) Anyway, we had a quick visit and I was then on my way to meet up with my quilting coaches. They were going to the fabric mart to pick up some things and I wanted to tag along.

Oh what another dangerous place. Luckily fabric is only on the bolts there so I had to walk away. But I still managed to find some goodies in my cart. Then later Angie and Vicki surprised me with "Merry Christmas" - they bought my stuff in my cart along with many more goodies and the cutting tool that I was really trying to buy at JoAnn's but they kept telling me, no don't buy it... So thank you so very much to both of you! I even started pinning my next skirt together last night. Guess the right term is sandwiched the top with the batting and muslin backing....

After a quick lunch, I was on my way back to the school to pick up Lucas. He has been complaining that his left ankle and knee have been bothering him and we are supposed to watch for these kinds of signs. It is common that since he compensated on that left side for his right hip so long, we need to watch for the left to slip. So off to the doc again. Got there and they asked if we had the x-rays. What x-rays??? Apparently they called the house and wanted x-rays done before we got there. So off we were to get those done. Got there and they were - what x-rays? Did they fax in the order? I don't know. They told me to come here, you were waiting for us. Well, they couldn't find the order. The gal I was talking to asked the gal next to her if she had it - nope. She called the girls in the back, they didn't have it. So ended up calling the doc's office to see if they could fax again.... Really? This craziness really is not helping my theme of the day - to escape! So after asking some questions about insurance and why we were there and such, I had said x-rays of the hips, frog legs. Because that is what the nurse said. We had already been there 15 minutes trying to figure this out.... The other girl turns around and says, oh I have that! It was right there in her basket right on top.... Seriously? Anyway, Lucas goes back with the tech and then the tech comes back out. Why are we checking his hip when he is saying his ankle hurts? Ok, communication is broken here.... So then I had to explain the whole thing to her! Geez.... She walks away, oh ok...

Back to the doc we went after the x-ray. He is doing pretty good. The left hip is not slipping and the right is holding with the pin. Lucas will walk with the limp because that leg is a little shorter now because of the hip slipping. If it really bothers him, we can have a lift put in his shoe. The pain in his ankle and knee though is not constant. Doc thinks that since he was on crutches for so long, he just isn't used to standing on his own. So we need to keep him active. Glad to hear that was all it was.

What a day - then I had to figure out dinner. Thank you little man at the meat counter in Albertsons. He came out and asked if he could help. I said - yes, I need a dinner idea... He said ok - well, how about chicken cour don blue (Sp?), roasted potatoes and brocoli? Ok - give me 4! He wrapped up 4, wrote on the paper how long to cook and at what temp. I went to get brocoli and we were out of there... Maybe I need to ask the meat counter guy what's for dinner more often! That was pretty easy.

Anyway today is a work day so I better get going. Lucas is still sleeping and I am out of coffee. So have a good day.

Paris - I hope you are doing well. That all went well yesterday. Just rest and call if you need anything ok?

Til next time...
Laura

3 comments:

Paris said...

So bummed that I missed Moonstruck w/you gals yesterday. Hope we can try again soon. Glad that you could escape for awhile. I think I could totally get addicted to quilting w/you. You are so lucky to have such good coaches :) What a fiasco w/the doc. I sure hope that Lucas will get back to his old self soon. Thanks for checking in w/me. I am so grateful for your friendship. xoxo

Angie said...

Don't ya just love the medical run around- NOT! We've been through that too. Maybe you can sneak another little escape sometime soon.

Team Immel said...

that was fun meeting at mooonstruck! let's do it again SOON! I ran into vicky and angie at st vincent's today! they want to hire us for a playdate at moonstruck! lol so nice of them to spoil you at the fabric store. what good friends! loved your tree skirt. felt so lucky to see it in person. i am so impressed. and who do you think you are, martha dukes or something? geez. here's hoping lucas hangs in there and feels better soon. i am stealing your idea and asking the guy at the meat counter what's for dinner every night!!! xooxox