Sunday, February 17, 2008

been a productive weekend....

Seems like it has been a long time since I could honestly say that I felt like I had a productive weekend and really accomplished something.
Friday night, we had our family night out at the auction.  It just cracks me up how much these boys enjoy that auction.  Of course they both had the 42" plasma tv picked out for their "man cave."  I don't think so boys...  The opening bid was $1,000.  Lucas looked at me, like why aren't you bidding, Mom?  Ummmm because I don't have $1,000....  I didn't even have the $550 that it sold for in the end.  But Tom did get a box of tools for $15.  Some things he can use and were practically brand new and some things that probably will end up giving away. He mainly wanted the hatchet and got some bonus toys with it. The boys ended up with two contemporary style chairs and an ottoman for their "man cave" and only cost $35.  Jake didn't get the large tv he wanted (they had another besides the plasma) or the exercise equipment, they had a cool eliptical but could only afford so much and it was out of my range.  But it makes for a fun family night out and the big challenge of the night was trying to figure out how to get the chairs and ottoman into the back of my Tahoe....  :)  But we figured it out without going home to get the pick up.  

Saturday we got up bright and early and made breakfast.  Full out scrambled eggs, turkey sausage and toast.  What exactly is turkey sausage anyway?  It didn't taste like turkey and it certainly did not taste like sausage.  I think it was something Lucas picked out at the store for a camp out and it either never made it to the camp out or it came home...  Think maybe it needs to go back to another camp out or something...  Then we headed over to Home Depot to buy Tom's new toy (a miter saw) and then over to Shauna's house to work on the trim.  We finished all the trim on the top of the wainscoting and put the baseboard back on in her bedroom.  The boys played video game fest '08 with Spencer and Kaelin.  They had a blast!  We all got our fix of Simba - who is just a cool dog!  and it was great to have Shauna there.  Put a face with the name for Tom....

Oh ok, speaking of Tom.  I realized Saturday night I may shelter Tom from my friends.  I guess I have limited his exposure to them...  From the conversation and questions he had at Shauna's house, I just really started to see how much I talk to him about all the people in my life.  But he has really not met many of them in person.  I am not sure why this is....  I don't think I have done it on purpose...  Or maybe I have, I don't know.  But those that he has met, I think he is comparing me to them....  One day last weekend when we were over there, he saw her mom scrubbing the laundry room floor.  He admired what a hard worker she was.  "Did you see that?  She was on her knees scrubbing the floor?  That is a hard worker..."  Ok, I saw it.  Yes, she is a huge help to Shauna and her family and she was cleaning the laundry room floor, and no I am not going to scrub my floors on my knees...  lol  I will continue to use my mop.  Then last night, he was making comments about your kitchen, Shauna...  That it was so clean and the counters were not cluttered.  First of all - since when does he pay such close attention to these things.... Ok, so I scrubbed my kitchen counters down today and did the bathrooms....  No comments about how clean my kitchen is or the bathrooms???  

Ahhhh - I get it now as I proof read this, he is playing me like a fiddle.  He knows that if he makes these comments, he gets me to work more around my house.  You learn quick, Grasshopper!  I liked to think I was a little quicker than this....

Anyway, guess the lesson of this story is to continue to limit Tom's exposure to my friends....I know he has met Paris and I will have to make a note to never take him over to her house....   

But he was really happy with how the room came out.  Meeting you, Shauna, made it worth it for him, I think.  He is a good man and he doesn't see that or hear it very often.  So doing a good thing like this is good for him in so many ways.  And then you gave him cookies, so all was right in the world!  

Today we finished some final trim pieces in Shauna's room.  With the wainscoting being panels, there was a space that broke the pattern.  So in order to fix that, Tom made some trim and corner pieces.  Of course, a couple trips to the toy store was necessary first to complete the task.  But he did a fantastic job and it looks great.  We need to just now do some painting and we will be finished.  But he is done with his part and has some new toys out of the deal.  

On my way home, took the air compressor back to Jim and Paris' house - Thank you again, Jim for letting us borrow that.  Was such a huge help having the portable compressor.  Paris - was great to see you!  Playdate soon for sure....  Been too long.

Then I went to the grocery store and actually had a few meals planned out for the week.  This is a rare thing for me.  They know me at the store because I am there so much, or maybe it is because it prints on my receipt....   So that is what all those stupid store cards are for!  Oh I am quick tonight.....   Anyway, we have a potluck on Wednesday night for Jake's cub scouts.  So plan to make a double batch of lasagna ravioli tomorrow night for dinner and save the second pan for the potluck.  

When I got home, the boys were ready to help unload the groceries.  Lucas had a plan for dinner.  Nice treat - this scout stuff is paying off in many ways.  So he and Tom made a fire in the fireplace and started some briquets.  Then he made stew pockets, he called them, with stew meat, potatoes, celery, carrots, onions, garlic and grill seasoning.  Folded it all up into tin foil and cooked it in the fireplace.  He steamed some broccoli on the side and we were set for dinner. Boy the house smelled good!  And it really tasted good too.  I was surprised.  I also made a big pot of clam chowder for lunches this week.  Nice to just have some leftovers.  

So besides being tricked into doing some housework by my subliminal hubby, I also got my projects done for work.  The kitchen is a mess again, guess they forgot to teach that in scouts.  The cook needs to clean up after dinner.  But since the boys are camping in the living room tonight, Tom is snoring and it is after 11pm, I think I am going to just call it a day.  

Tomorrow is another day and the dishes will still be there!
Good night.

3 comments:

Paris said...

Busy, busy girl and family! Wowser! It was great to see you, if even for a minute. I will definitely help you paint the bead board. So glad you still have today to recuperate from your crazy weekend! I slept until 9:00... that never happens! Love, p

Jennie said...

sorry it has taken so long to get back to you... it has been a crazy few days!

i am not able to go to portland! it kinda snuck up on me!

love ya!

Team Immel said...

thanks to you and yours for blessing my bedroom! it looks fabulous! i'm sorry that my analness to have my kitchen clutter free (tough with 2 kids, a hubby and a mom in the house!) inspired your hubby to comment to you. just tell him that it's clutter free because i don't use it!!! lol and my mom on her knees scrubbing...she must have done that for my benefit when i returned home from reno and i didn't even notice and thank her! shame on me!!! tell your hubby it also helps to have a mom living with you to help with the housework! when he gets too rough on you, show him our dining room/office. there is so much clutter in there you can get lost!
thanks again for all of the hard work you and your guys did in my room. wow. i'm just in awe and i love it so much and it makes me so happy and it's so peaceful and eye pleasing! i can't believe you would spend your free time doing that! i would have fed your family more than cookies had you let me! you sneaking bajafresh eater you!
look forward to spending more time with you soon!
xoxo
si