Sunday, January 3, 2010

today I celebrate the life of my friend, Shauna...

On December 3rd, my friend, Shauna Immel, lost her battle to cancer. I can't even begin to say how much this girl has effected me - especially over the past 3 1/2 years. She showed me an inner strength a person could have. She showed me that life is a privilege and we should cherish each day. She showed me to tell people how we feel about them every day and every time we see them. She showed me how a person can touch another's life, just in an instance. She showed me a zest for life through the sparkle in her eye and and ever bright smile, no matter how terrible she was feeling. That smile was there. She showed me a beauty through her talent of writing and amazing photography. She showed me an artistic talent of scrapbooking that not only was spectacular design, but all of her heart into each project.

I met Shauna online through a scrapbooking group about 10 years ago. She was always there to chat no matter what time of night or day. I can't remember the first time exactly we met in person. It was either at a crop or a scrapbook store event. But she wasn't one to share her talents with anyone. If you asked her about something on your page, her response was in a soft voice, well what do you think would be good? After a terrible shuttle driver experience, she became my driver to and from the airport for my trips. She was an avid contest contestant. She would finish her projects just in time to make it to the 24 hour post office at the airport to have it postmarked by midnight. I made a couple of those runs with her. So when I was offered a position at HOTP, I was thrilled to get the chance to work with her daily, even if it was just supposed to be for the summer. But shortly after that, she was diagnosed with cancer. I ended up working at her desk due to space and it was such a hard spot for me. It was never my spot, and to this day, even though someone else sits there, that is her spot to me. I always held out hope that she would be coming back and sitting at that desk creating her masterpieces. But instead of working beside her, we became playdaters! Meeting for coffee at Borders, grabbing a funny movie at Bridgeport, bagels at Noah's and happy toes at V & V Nails. She was never to busy to meet up - it just took a quick text to her to see if she was up for it. Because of her, I had to increase my text plan! She had a way of making you feel like you were the only friend she had whether you just met her or have been friends for 10 years.

I could go on and on.... she touched my life in such a special way that I will cherish always. Today we celebrate her life and it is going to be a happy day through so many tears. We have a bright star looking over us with her smile watching over us. She will forever be my guardian angel.

I have come across the lyrics for this song by Toby Keith.... Really sums it all up.

Cryin' for me
Got the news on Friday morning, but a tear I couldn't find
You showed me how I am supposed to live
And now you showed me how to die.

I was lost 'til Sunday morning, I woke up to face my fear
While writing you this goodbye song, I found a tear.

I'm gonna miss that smile, I'm gonna miss you my friend
Even though it hurts the way it ended up, I'd do it all again
So play it sweet in heaven 'cause that's right where you wanna be
I'm not cryin' 'cause I feel so sorry for you, I'm cryin' for me

I got up and dialed your number, and your voice came on the line
With that old familiar message I heard a thousand times
It just said, sorry that I missed you, leave a message and God bless
I know you think I'm crazy, but I had to hear your voice I guess

I'm gonna miss that smile, I'm gonna miss you my friend
Even though it hurts the way it ended up, I'd do it all again
So play it sweet in heaven 'cause that's right where you wanna be
I'm not cryin' 'cause I feel so sorry for you, I'm cryin' for me

So play your upside-down, left-handed, backwards bass guitar
I'll see you on the other side, superstar

I'm gonna miss that smile, I'm gonna miss you my friend
Even though it hurts the way it ended up, I'd do it all again
So play it sweet in heaven 'cause that's right where you wanna be
I'm not cryin' 'cause I feel so sorry for you, I'm cryin' for me
I'm still cryin', I'm still cryin' for me, I'm still cryin'.



Thank you, Shauna, for your lessons, your kind spirit, your bright smile, and most of all your friendship. You will always be in my heart. I miss you.... Today we will stand up and celebrate your life because you fought tough each and every day for it. You loved your family and friends with all you could give. Live sweet in heaven, my friend.

Laura

1 comment:

Diane said...

sending you bug hugs Laura. Your doing a great job of keeping Shauna's memory alive. :)