Saturday, October 10, 2009

sit back, grab a cup of coffee and put your feet up - it is going to be a long one....

Wow - August 18th was the last post from me - guess we are very past due for an update....

Ok, where to start.

On Aug 19th - I left for Tulsa, OK with Angie and Vicki for a scrapbook convention. We had a great time as usual - those girls always keep me laughing. Getting home was a little tricky. We had some flight delays so actually spent a night in Phoenix and got home Monday.

After I got home from OK, I just did some hanging out time with my boys. We went to the go-karts. Wow - puts these boys in a go-kart for two hours and they go round and round! They were vibrating when they finally got out. Think the unlimited laps for a time frame isn't such a good idea.... Rough on the boys - and the track! And the grass that is on the sides of the track! But they had fun and it was a good time watching them. Then we did some school shopping and just got that last week of summer in.

August 29th - Was Jamboree for football. So the day was filled with football games. It is hard to go to the games and not see Lucas playing but he is sure liking the coaching. I love to hear his comments to the team after games and practice. Most the time it is things that the coaches have told him when he was playing.... hmmm - he remembers that but not to make his bed...

September 4th was Nick's (Tom's Dad) birthday. He turned 85 and wasn't doing too well. He had been in a care facility for a couple weeks and now was in the hospital with an infection. So we thought we better go down and see him. We drove down to Reno after Lucas' football game on the 5th. Made it to Reno Sunday afternoon and spent that with Nick. He was not doing well at all. It was lots of conflicting info from the nurses and doctor. But we left Sunday with the impression that he was getting cleared up of the infection and would be going back to the care facility in a couple days. Monday when Tom called him, he was moved to ICU. Very confused and disoriented. Later that week, I went to Nashville for another convention. Talked to Tom on Friday night and he had taken another turn. Sounded like he didn't have long. And then he passed away that night. So it was another road trip for us to Reno the next weekend for the service.

September 8th - the boys started school. Yeah! Summer is over.... Ooops, did I say that out loud??? Anyway - Lucas in 8th grade and Jake in 7th grade.

Then I was home for awhile. Lucas' birthday was on the 26th. Wow - 14! He is as tall as I am now - but I am stretching everyday and puffin up my hair as much as I can to have a little advantage over him.... I might have to start wearing heels pretty soon. I won't be able to walk but I will be taller...

Jake is growing like a weed too. We just bought school clothes a month ago and he is already grown out of them. And the voices dropping! oh boy - they are turning into young men... I can't tell who I am talking to anymore on the phone... Jake is doing good in school. We have had some bumps already this year. I don't understand why teachers do not have the info on their students before they start the year. We had the discussion about the year back in May with his team.... What is the problem? So frustrating for Jake... But he is still showing them that no matter what - he can do it and still come out with good grades.

September 30th - I was on a plane again to Arizona. We had a show in Glendale. Was great to be in the sunshine. Was starting to get cold at home - and our furnace is done! The warm weather was good... Show was good. Always great to see the other "carnies" on the show floor. (Kris - missed you!) Then home on Oct. 4th. That should be it for the air plane rides for me this year. I will be going to Seattle in November - maybe two weekends in a row... Have a play weekend planned and will be great to just hang with my buddy, Vicki M. Who knows, maybe I will actually get Christmas cards done... Been too many years since I have sent those out...

Things seem to be just as insane in my life as ever. But the past month just seemed like it is taking it's toll. My friend, Shauna, was in the hospital for 12 days. So glad she is home and I hope that she gets the rest she needs. You are always in my thoughts - S. My friend, Paris - she is such a trooper. I call her Martha Dukes for a reason. She takes care of everyone! Her Dad just recently had a triple by-pass and she has been there for Shauna and her family. So her life is spinning. P - so glad you are letting me bring dinner over tomorrow night! Let some one else take care of you for a change. And when ever you need a ride... I have the Tahoe fully gassed up at all times! I am trying to find us a new furnace and heat pump. Set up appts and then they don't show up. Don't these people need the business? I have had 6 appts scheduled and only have 2 quotes. I have another 5 set up now so we will see if they start showing up starting today at noon. Lucas is keeping us busy with football. Practices during the week and game every saturday. I also took him for some x-rays. He is having pain with his left ankle. X-rays were fine so not sure what is up there. So another doc appt on Tuesday for him. We also need to have a scan done to measure his legs. This will help us get a lift for his shoe that is accurate. Will help even out his legs and hopefully help him get more active and back into things. I went to the doc yesterday - going to have some tests done next week. Apparently not going to the doc in the last 5-6 years is not a good thing... :) Hoping it is not anything to worry about - mostly check up stuff - that whole turning 40 thing, ok 41.... It is time to see that I am healthy and start feeling good.

So think that brings us up to date with the Nicholas family.... Angie and Vicki continued their trip from AZ to Kansas City for another show. Angie's grandma passed away yesterday so they may be staying in Kansas a little longer for the service. Miss you girls... Wish I was there to help with the show and anything you need. But if you need anything from here - just let me know....

Well, better get to my Saturday chores before the furnace guy comes. Tom and Jake are off on a scout camp out. Hope they stayed warm last night. They will be out riding horses today so I know they will have a good day. Both of them were really looking forward to that.

Til next time.... Hope everything is well with you that read this.
Laura

1 comment:

Paris said...

Love ya, friend. We are all due for some happy times. Just know it. xoxo